Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Mujaddara at Kalustyan’s



I've been planning this blog and documenting my 'better' lunches for a few weeks now and began to get backlogged with photos. This first post is by no means the first subject of the blog. I'll be posting them out of order just to get them uploaded until I've caught up.

I read about this mujaddara sandwich in NYMag while on a return plane flight from Charlotte, NC to LaGuardia. I'd walked through the area lovingly know as Curry Hill, but had never stopped by to eat, although I had been into Kalustyan’s to buy Ras al-Hanut after seeing a contestant on Top Chef liberally sprinkle the spice mix on every dish in the one episode I saw (while waiting to be interviewed for the show itself).

The mujaddara sandwich here is a large pita stuffed with a mixture of lentils, bulgur, tahini, fried onions, lettuce, tomato and a crunchy sour pickle. Of course I asked for extra hot sauce. This sandwich is big enough for two small people or enough for me to snack on until I have 2nd lunch. It literally weighed 5lbs! Not bad for $5. Overall it's a very earthy flavor with not much texture outside of the pickles, but very satisfying. The olive oil gives the sandwich its moisture and helps the loose mixture clump together. This is a messy sandwich to eat. Overall a great find and I'm sure I'll go back soon to try their other offerings.